Energy. We all seem to need more of it while it seems to escape even the best of us. When it comes to energy sources, the first thought of course is food, with fruits and veggies especially being top of mind these days. But before we put more plants on our plates, let’s explore a few non-food related energy hacks, because what’s the point if you don’t have the proper mental tools to keep you in the game?
Although the items below seem super simple, things often “click” when we hear them in a different way or with a new fact and sometimes the things “I totally know already” are exactly the things that cause unnecessary hunger, preventing your body from healing itself and ultimately meeting your goals.
Tuning your body’s most basic functions for optimal energy is the quickest, cheapest and most natural way to wellness – even before food.
SLEEP: a lot!
Sleeping is when your body does the serious work and repairs – and it needs time for that. Even better, sleep naked! Studies have shown this helps to keep your body temperature down and regulate cortisol…which in turn helps to regulate anxiety and weight gain.
Perhaps the greatest legal performance-enhancing ‘drug’ at our disposal. Learn More
MEDITATE: for the win
Coming in a close second to sleep, meditation takes mind and body to the next level.
The One Routine that is Common to Billionaires, Icons , World-Class Performers and more …plus it’s free. Learn More
BREATHE: everyone’s doing it
6 to 10 deep breaths per minute for 10 minutes each day to experience immediate reductions to heart rate and blood pressure. Breathwork strengthens our ability to change our focus and to re-direct our creative life energy. Learn More
DRINK: from the fountain of youth
Water is life. Cut up some cukes, blend up a beet, slice some lime, whatever you need to do to get the most. Metabolism, immunity + more: 9 hidden benefits of drinking water on an empty stomach. Learn More
CHEW: help your body do its job
Chew softer foods 5-10 times, and more dense foods (meats/vegetables) up to 30 times before swallowing. Aid your digestion, boost nutrient absorption and more. Learn More
SWEAT: the quickest way to clean
Even when not detected in blood or urine, our sweat has shown potential to effectively eliminate BPA (found in plastics and packaged foods) and other toxins from our system. Our skin is our biggest organ and sweating regularly helps it to do its job. Whether it’s refreshing or unplanned, the act of sweating leads to a number of surprising benefits. Learn More
ENERGY RECIPE: Sweet + Savory Breakfast Yam Why Yams / Sweet Potatoes?
- ● Packed with carbohydrates (essential for muscle growth)
- ● Fiber helps to support steady blood sugar levels and sustained energy
- ● High in calcium, iron and beta carotene which are great for muscle recovery
- ● 1 small to medium garnet yam
- ● 1/8 cup granola
- ● 1-2 tablespoons superfood syrup*
- ● 1/8 cup banana slices
- ● Seasonal fruit (optional)
- ● Sea Salt to taste
1. Prepare steamer, bring water to a boil then reduce to a simmer and steam sweet potatoes until tender, approximately 20 minutes.
2. Cut a slit down the center of the yam (about 2/3 of the way down). Slightly mush the inside of the potato. Top with remaining ingredients.
*Superfood Syrup is a sweet + savory nut butter sauce recipe featured in our Starter Kit Meal Plan. More info here (www.superfoodschool.com). Feel free to substitute with your favorite nut / seed butter and seasonings.
TIME: 25 minutes (making potato ahead turns it into 5 minutes) SERVINGS: 1
STORAGE: 2 days
- ● Although steaming is the quickest and healthiest, there is nothing like the caramelized crunch of a baked yam! If preferred, bake for 50 min at 450 F.
- ● Either way, soft fruits and crunchy nuts and seeds go great with the creamy texture of this root veg. Try adding coconut cream and chocolate for a decadent dessert 😉