By: Madison Wright, MS
Blog Coordinator + exhale teacher
We’ve all heard the phrase, “two’s company, three’s a crowd.” Well, that might be true on date night, but there’s evidence to the contrary when it comes to maximizing your exercise performance. Turns out, there’s a plethora of benefits to working out with friends and exhale is giving you incentive this month to find out what those reasons are! Psychology expert Professor Barbara A. Brehm, Ed.D., Department of Exercise and Sport Studies, at Smith College in Northampton, MA, says that when you make a workout date with a friend you are much more likely to stick to the plan instead of listening to that inner voice that often pops up and tells you stay in bed (we’ve all been there on a Saturday morning after one too many finely crafted cocktails). The workout buddy system benefits don’t stop there though. We have the top five reasons you should phone a friend this month and get to the Barre! ….
1. Motivation: As we mentioned before, having a workout buddy not only helps ensure you stick your workout schedule, but it also helps you increase your frequency.
2. Better Performance: Studies show that when working out with a buddy, you actually push yourself to work harder and often for a little longer. This affect becomes amplified when you work out with someone who you perceive to be slightly better than you in the exercise realm (“Hey there my professional Barre-goer friend! Want to take a Core Fusion class together?”).
3. Better Results: We will spare you the phycology and physiological mumbo jumbo here because this one is pretty simple; better performance equals better results.
4. Fun: We all know it, when you’re deep down in the midst of thigh work feeling your legs tremble uncontrollably, it’s simply more fun (and somewhat easier) when you can gaze over to your friend (who’s also shaking like Jello) with that look that needs no words and that smirk that says “My word, this is so freaking hard and awesome! Let’s do this, 20 more pulses?! Bring it on!”
5. Saving the best for last… exhale is giving you incentive to sweat with your buddy this month! Bring a first-time guest into an exhale this month and you both receive a $10 credit for the visit! The even better part, there’s no limit to how many friends you can bring and how many credits you can combine!
Forget three’s a crowd, it’s an obsolescent statement as far as Core Fusion is concerned. It’s more like “the more, the merrier our mind’s, body’s and wallet’s will be!” So choose your crew and bring your friends into an exhale this month to get your sweat on!